Northeast Community Credit Union began in 1952 as Elizabethton Teachers Credit Union to provide financial services to area educators. A small group of school teachers petitioned the Tennessee Department of Financial Institutions for a charter to begin the credit union, due to school staff finding it more difficult to borrow since they were paid only when school was in session rather than year-round. The petition was granted, and one of the original petitioners, Mr. William “Bill” Armstrong has served NCCU in various volunteer roles ever since then and currently serves as Chairman of our Board of Directors. Credit Union Directors must meet specific eligibility and educational requirements and are responsible for the safety and soundness of the Credit Union.
In 1996 we converted to a community charter, allowing us to serve those who live, work, worship, or attend school in Carter, Johnson, Washington, Unicoi and Sullivan counties and their family members. We remain accountable to our membership and to state and federal regulators who strictly examine our operations on a regular basis as required by law. We are pleased to receive excellent ratings and rank in the top 2% among all financial institutions for strength and stability.
Please login here to update your business.